Thursday, April 24, 2014

Yellow Cake with Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting

Yellow Cake with Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting by chengand3kids.blogspot.com

Making layered cakes have always scared the heck out of me. I was so sure that I would mess it up somehow.

But for my mom's birthday last month, I decided to confront this fear once and for all. 


Yellow Cake with Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting by chengand3kids.blogspot.com


And boy am I glad I did, because now I am totally hooked on making them!


Yellow Cake with Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting by chengand3kids.blogspot.com


My mom doesn't have a sweet tooth like I do. So I knew that buttercream frosting is out of question.

 I decided to use a chocolate whipped cream frosting recipe that I found at Baking with Nadia. And we LOVED it! It was soft, fluffy and not too sweet. Just perfect!

And you know what else I loved about Nadia's site? The video tutorials! She makes them look so easy and her instructions are so simple to follow. Extremely helpful for a newbie like me.

Here's how I made it.

Cake ingredients:
cake mix ( I used Betty Crocker Butter Recipe Yellow )
1 cup milk
10 tablespoons butter ( softened )
4 eggs

I heated the oven to 325 degrees F. Then I greased and floured my two 8" round pans.

I mixed all the cake ingredients making sure not to overbeat it.

I wanted to make three layers but I only have two 8" pans, and I wasn't brave enough to cut the cake into layers. So I poured equal amounts of the cake batter into the two pans and a third container (for the third layer), so I could bake them in shifts. I covered and refrigerated the batter in the container while the first two layers bake (I hope that makes sense).

Bake for 22- 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Frosting ingredients:
1 quart or 4 cups heavy whipping cream
6-7 tablespoons of sifted powdered sugar
6-9 tablespoons of high quality unsweetened cocoa powder

Click here to see the instructions and video tutorial on making the chocolate whipped cream frosting.

Nadia also has a video tutorial on how to assemble and frost cake layers. You can watch it here.

You can also add some chocolate curls/shavings on top of the cake just like I did.

Enjoy! (^_^)

This post was featured at:

I was featured on Share Your Stuff Tuesday

My Turn for us


I linked this post to these wonderful parties:


14 comments:

  1. Wow that looks beautiful! I so wanted to make those curls but always think it will take to much time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexis! :) The chocolate curls can take time to make, but when you have time you can make them in advance and store them in the ref. I like using them on everything!

      Delete
  2. This looks divine, omg !! Having fun looking around your blog :) Newest follower ! http://thebees3.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy to hear that BeaumontGirl! Thank you so much!

      Delete
  3. That looks DELICIOUS!!! We have a birthday coming up this week, great excuse to try this out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you try it Alicia! Let me know how it turns out. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness. I think I have just seen heaven through your cake. This is gorgeous. I must try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dana Joy! I'll gladly bake one for some of your handmade cards! ;)

      Delete
  5. This may be a little too complicated for my pitiful baking skills. LOL But it looks sooooo good Ritchil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I can do it, I'm pretty sure you can do it too Jhanis! :)

      Delete
  6. Oh, I'm looking for a good cake recipe for my husband's 30th birthday. He requested chocolate and this looks amazing! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment! (^_^)