Friday, May 10, 2013

Claire's 13th Birthday Party

 My daughters are anime fanatics, so when Claire was turning thirteen, we decided to throw her an anime/Japanese themed birthday party. It was supposed to be a surprise for her, but the day before the party, she caught me making some of the decorations when she came home from school. But even though she was getting suspicious, my parents still took her to Game Stop, hours before the party, so that we can set everything up.

The cherry blossom on the background is a vinyl wall decal we got from Amazon.

This was my daughter's anime or Japanese themed 13th birthday party.

This adorable plush creature on the cake is called a Mokona, and is a character from Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle. We used it as a cake topper but it's actually a coin purse. I placed a piece of wax paper underneath it so it doesn't get any frosting on it. I also made the teeny tiny party hat , and the CLAIRE banner.

The adorable character on the cake is called Mokona from Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, and it is actually a coin purse.

This was my daughter's anime/Japanese themed birthday party.

This is my daughter's 13th birthday party with an anime/Japanese theme.

I used google translate for the food labels, the framed image, chopstick holders, candy wrappers and favor tags. The chibi characters on the food labels were pictures we found online. We printed them out, cut them and then used foam adhesive to stick them on the food labels. Aren't they cute?

This is the anime themed food label for Pocky.

These are the anime themed food labels for the sushi.

These are the anime themed food labels for the rice balls or onigiri, and mochi.

These are the anime themed food labels for mochi and beef teriyaki.

 The kids had fun trying out the Japanese food, but I think they were relieved when we ordered pizza. I guess it takes some getting used to.

These are the customized chopstick holders I made for my daughter's anime/Japanese themed party.

Some of the games they played were similar to the games we had for Bea's 15th birthday. We had the chopsticks game - whoever gets the most jelly beans by using the chopsticks wins, fan the balloon game - each person gets one balloon, whoever manages to make the balloon stay up in the air the longest by fanning it, wins, and our own version of fukuwarai - a game similar to pin the tail on the donkey, but instead of using a face, we used a picture of Pikachu. The prize for the games were Hershey's Chocolate bars. I just replaced the wrappers with the a paper with the word Congratulations in English and also in Japanese.

This is the customized Hershey's chocolate bar wrapper I made for my daughter's anime/Japanese themed party.

After the games, the kids went to the living room and played video games.

These were the party favors, inside the bags were some Japanese candies. The kids thought it was pretty cool seeing their names written in Japanese characters.

These are the party favors with personalized tags, inside the bags are Japanese candies.
  


I linked this post to these wonderful parties:




15 comments:

  1. What a great party! I love all the details that you used in the theme! Fabulous game ideas too. I want to have a Chinese dinner party and those would be great to go along with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't have to spend a lot of money on the games but the kids had fun with them. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Great Party Ritchil!

    Priyam- http://priyam-simplejoys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that was really a sweet thing to do for your daughter. I'm sure that she was very happy with the surprise party. You did great with all the preparations. I know that you found it difficult organizing this event since you tried your best not to get caught by your daughter. Haha! Nonetheless, it was a successful birthday party. I'm certain that Claire considers this as one of her best moments in life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the sweet comment Nita! I love planning my kids' parties. They can be stressful at times but I enjoy coming up with DIY decorations and of course, the look of happiness on their face is absolutely priceless!

      Delete
  4. Great ideas and photos….my daughter loves Japanese and animae so just need to work out the cake…love your with the plush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you My Hamptons Shack! It wasn't super fancy but my daughter loved it. :)

      Delete
  5. Where did you find the tsubasa picture in front of the cake? my birtthday is coming up and would like to use it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nagisa, sorry for the late reply. I just found the Tsubasa photo on the internet and added in the Happy Birthday text with Adobe Photoshop Elements. Hope this helps. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Love this! My daughter Rayne is turning 13 and loves anime. This gives me some great ideas. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy that this post helped give you ideas Sharoo! Thank you for the visit and comment. Let me know how your daughter's party turns out.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I stumbled upon your page while looking for anime ideas for my daughter's bday. We really like the decor and game ideas. I've bookmarked your page for reference. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How did you make the food labels?

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment! (^_^)