Saturday, May 25, 2013

Strawberry Squares

Strawberry Squares Recipe

My little boy loves anything with strawberries, so when I saw this Strawberry Squares recipe at skinnytaste.com, I knew it would be a big hit with him. 

I checked our pantry and, lo and behold, we have all the ingredients needed for the recipe! Must be a sign!

These are the ingredients for strawberry squares - butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, flour, strawberry pie filling, confectioner's sugar baking spray.

The little boy saw me setting up the ingredients and insisted on helping me. And since I know from experience that he's not going to stop bugging me until I say yes, I let him hold the handheld mixer while I add the ingredients into the bowl. 

But I think his favorite part was when I started scoring the dough into squares...


...and put the pie filling in them. His exact words were, "Whoa, that's so cool!" 


It's weird that some of the pie filling sank (or is it sunk?) into the bottom. I'm not really sure why.


Oh well, still not bad for my first attempt, right? 

Nath wanted to eat it right away but we had to wait for it to cool off. And what's a mom to do to make good use of the time? Take more pictures of my little boy, of course!


And now it's finally time for the taste test.


And the verdict is....


... a thumbs up! Yay!



STRAWBERRY SQUARES

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup canned strawberry pie filling
confectioner's sugar for dusting
baking spray

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray Baking Pam in a 13 x 9 inch baking pan.

In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter with the granulated sugar until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla. Add the flour and mix thoroughly.

Spread the dough evenly in the prepared pan. With a small, sharp knife (or toothpick), score into twenty-four 2-inch squares. Place a teaspoon of pie filling in the center of each scored square. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the pan comes out clean. Bool to room temperature, then sprinkle with confectioner's sugar before cutting and serving.



I linked this post to these wonderful parties:

25 comments:

  1. Hi Ritchil(Cheng). Nice to meet you. Thanks for popping over onto my blog and following. I'm now following you too. Those strawberry squares look divine. I'll be making those come August when its strawberry season here again. Oh, and if you want, I have a linky party every Thursday here in Australia called "Thriving on Thursday" and you're most welcome to join in.

    Anne @ Domesblissity xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the invite Anne! It will be my pleasure to join your party. See you there on Thursday!

      Delete
  2. I love your party Cathy! I saw a lot of interesting links there! Thank you for the invite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, he is so cute what gorgeous pictures

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter would LOVE these! She is all about some strawberries! Would love it if you would link this up to Give Me The Goods Monday: 1 Party, 4 Blogs! http://www.rainonatinroof.com/2013/05/give-me-goods-monday-link-party-10.html
    Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite Jenna! See you there!

      Delete
  5. These look great and I love strawberries!! Your little boy has the cutest smile! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Ritchil,
    I am glad that you found my blog and liked what you found! You are free to use my kit (the fathers day one) or any other papers or elements from blog trains etcto make free printables on your blog. The would need to be ones where the items were created by me. The other freebies that I have made from other designers kits that I create layouts and freebies for, unfortunately can not be used for freebies without the designers permission. Each blog post has the designers information so if there is a particular item that you are wanting to use you could contact them about using it. If you have any questions feel free to comment on the particular post you are wanting to use and I can let you know if it is mine or another designers! Thanks!
    Kristal

    ReplyDelete
  7. As long as there is a thumbs-up, Ritchil, I am happy! Nevermind the sank {sunk?} ;-) Thank you for sharing your recipe at our ALL MY BLOGGY FRIENDS party ! {shared on Google+ today !}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! I always have fun at your parties!

      Delete
  8. Ritchil,

    Wow! These look great, my family LOVES all things strawberry. And your son.....HANDSOME, DARLING boy! I can't imagine what my life would be without my 2 sons, boys are awesome :-) Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracy! I have 2 girls and 1 boy, I love all of them, but my little boy is just the sweetest. It may be because his sisters are both teenagers now. Kids just grow up so fast.

      Delete
  9. I am absolutely going to have to try that!!! It looks delicious. Feel free to ship some to Charlotte, NC :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz! I just might send you some! LOL

      Delete
  10. Your Strawberry Squares look WONDERFUL!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!! :)
    I appreciate you visiting me at Chatting Over Chocolate! It was great to hear from you!! Hope you're having a lovely week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brenda! It was a pleasure visiting your site.

      Delete
  11. Hi Ritchil. I fixed up your link for the Father's Day gift ideas. Thanks for letting me know!

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmmm these look delicious! :) A certain sous chef looks to be thoroughly enjoying himself too! :) Thank you so much for linking up with me this week at Tasty Tuesdays! I’ve pinned this & shared it with my followers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and pin! I loved your party!

      Delete
  13. Thanks so much for this great recipe!
    I loved it so much that I had to try it and after making it I posted it on my blog. I pointed it back to your blog as the source of the recipe. Hope that was ok.

    -Priyam @ http://priyam-simplejoys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy that you liked this recipe Priyam! Thank you for mentioning me in your post!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment! (^_^)